- Editor, Journal of Information Processing Systems, Korea Information Processing Society, 2007-2008.
- Guest Editor: Journal of Visual Communication & Image Representation (Elsevier), Special Issue on Emerging H.264/AVC Video Coding Standard, Volume 17(2), April 2006.
Special Conference Sessions and Workshops Organized
- Co-Chair, International Workshop on Cognitive Computing and Networking, in IEEE Pervasive Computing and Communication Conference (IEEE PerCom), March 18-22, 2013, San Diego, CA.
- Co-Chair, Workshop on Cyber Physical Systems, in IEEE International Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications (IEEE ICNC), Jan. 28-31, 2013, San Diego, CA.
- Co-Chair, Local Arrangements Committee, IEEE Visual Communication and Image Processing Conference (IEEE VCIP), Nov. 27-30, 2012, San Diego, CA.
- Session Chair at International Conference on Soft Computing for Problem Solving, IIT Roorkee, India, Dec 20-22, 2011.
- Workshop on 'Cross-layer Design in Ad Hoc Networks' in 1st International Conf. Ad Hoc Networks, Sept. 23-25, 2009, Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada.
- 'QoS-Support for Multimedia Traffic in Networks' in Internet Multimedia Management Systems Conf. (SPIE ITCOM), Oct. 25-28, 2004, Philadelphia, PA.
- 'QoS-Support and Resource Management' in Internet Multimedia Management Systems Conf. (SPIE ITCOM), Sept. 09-11, 2003, Orlando, FL. 'JPEG2000 and Applications' Applications of Digital Image Processing Conf. (SPIE Annual Meeting), Aug. 03-08, 2003, San Diego, CA.
Conference Sessions Chaired
- ‘Multimedia Applications I’ in Multimedia Systems and Applications VII (SPIE ITCOM), Oct. 25-27, 2004, Philadelphia, PA.
- 'QoS-Support for Multimedia Traffic in Networks' in Internet Multimedia Management Systems (SPIE ITCOM), Oct. 25-28, 2004, Philadelphia, PA.
- 'QoS-Support and Resource Management' in Internet Multimedia Management Systems (SPIE ITCOM), Sept. 09-11, 2003, Orlando, FL.
- ‘Compression and Processing’ in Multimedia Systems and Applications (SPIE ITCOM), Sept. 09-11, 2003, Orlando, FL.
- 'JPEG2000 and Applications' in Applications of Digital Image Processing (SPIE Annual Meeting), Aug. 03-08, 2003, San Diego, CA.
- SPIE Visual Communications and Image Processing (VCIP) Conf., Jan. 2002, San Jose, CA.
Conference Technical Program Committee Member
- 2nd International Conf. Ad Hoc Networks (AdHocNets 10), Aug. 18-20, 2010, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.
- International Conf. Access Networks (AccessNets’10), on Nov. 3-5, 2010, Budapest, Hungary.
- Sensor Network Applications Conference (SNA 09), Nov. 2009, San Jose, CA, USA.
- 1st International Conf. Ad Hoc Networks (AdHocNets 09), Sept. 23-25, 2009, Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada.
- IASTED International Conference on Internet and Multimedia Systems and Applications (IMSA 2009), Aug. 17-19, 2009, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA.
- Next Generation Wireless Networks 2008 (in conjunction with HiPC 2008), Dec. 17-20, 2008, Bangalore, India.
- Wireless Communications and Networking Symposium, Aug. 25-27, 2008, Hangzou, China.
- World Congress on Engineering and Computer Science, San Francisco, Oct. 24-26, 2007.
- IEEE Pervasive Wireless Networking Workshop (PWN), 2005-06.
- First International Workshop on eSafety and Convergence of Heterogeneous Wireless Networks (eSCo-Wi’06).
- IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, 2004.
- International Conf. Multimedia Systems and Applications (SPIE ITCOM), 2004.
- International Conf. Internet Multimedia Management Systems (SPIE ITCOM), 2003-05.
- International Conf. Applications of Digital Image Processing (SPIE Annual Meeting), 2003-04.
- International Conf. Imaging Science, Systems, and Technology (CISST), 2003-05.
Invited Lectures and Short Courses
- Issue in Robust Video Transmission over Wireless Networks, College of Engineering Seminar Series, Montana State Univ., Bozeman, MO, Nov. 9, 2012.
- Cross-layer Protocols for Robust Video Transmission in Wireless Networks, Air Force Research Lab, Rome, NY, June 21, 2012.
- Issues in Robust Video Steganography over Wireless Networks, International Conference on Soft Computing for Problem Solving, IIT Roorkee, India, Dec. 20-22, 2011.
- 'Cognitive Routing and Scheduling for High-quality Video Delivery over Cognitive Radio Networks', Cognitive RF Workshop, Sept. 23, 2011, Dayton, OH
- ‘Cross-layer Design for Robust Video Transmission in Wireless Networks’, Interdisciplinary Centre for Security, Reliability and Trust, Univ. of Luxembourg, Luxembourg, Nov. 12, 2010
- Tutorial on ‘Robust Coding and Transport of Motion Imagery Data for DOD Tactical Networks, IEEE Military Communications Conf. (MILCOM 2010), Nov. 2, 2010, San Jose, CA.
- ‘Cross-layer Design for Robust Multimedia Transmission in Wireless Nets’, TTCP Workshop on Tactical Communications, SPAWAR, San Diego, Oct. 25-29, 2011.
- ‘Cross Layer Design for Robust Motion Imagery Transmission in Military Nets’ AFRL Cognitive RF Workshop, Sept. 15-16 2010, Rome, NY
- Tutorial on ‘Robust and Scalable Video Compression Techniques for Wireless Networks’, Air Force Research Lab, Rome, NY, July 14-15, 2009.
- Wireless Network Technology and its Applications, Computational Science Research Center Colloquium, SDSU, Feb. 20, 2009.
- Panelist in ‘Utilities Panel’ at ‘Forum on Analytics’ organized by San Diego Software Industry Council (SDSIC) , San Diego, Nov. 12, 2008.
- Issues and Strategies for Robust Video Transmission over Airborne Wireless Networks, Air Force Research Laboratory, Rome, NY, Aug. 14, 2008.
- Cross-layer MANET Protocols using Dynamic Spectrum Access, Dhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information and Communication Technology (DAIICT), Gandhinagar, India, July 30, 2007.
- Video Transmission over Wireless Networks, JP Institute of Technology, Noida, India, Aug. 7, 2007
- Wireless Network Technology and Applications, IEEE SDSU Chapter, Feb. 20, 2007.
- QoS-aware Cross Layer Issues in Airborne Network Protocols under Dynamic Spectrum Access Paradigm, Air Force Research Lab, Rome, NY, Oct. 2006.
- Error Resiliency Schemes in H.264/AVC Video Coding Standard, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, Aug. 2004.
- Error Resilient Video Compression, Indian Space Research Organization, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India, July 2004.
- Delivering Multimedia over Wireless Networks, EECS Dept., Syracuse U., April 2003.
- Introduction to JPEG2000: the New Image Compression Standard, Research Division of Himachal Futuristic Communications Ltd., Delhi, India, Dec. 2002.
- MPEG4 Video Compression Standard, DA Institute of Information & Communication Technology, Gandhi Nagar, India, Dec. 2002.
- Delivery of Multimedia on Wireless Networks, CS Dept., Clarkson University, Oct. 2002.
- Short Course on JPEG2000 Standard, organized by USC and NTU, Jan. 2002.
- JPEG2000 and Error Resilience Techniques, JPL-NASA, Pasadena, CA, Aug. 2001.
Membership in Technical Societies
- Senior Member, IEEE Communications, Signal Processing, and CAS Societies
- Member, SPIE
- Participation in NSF Review Panels since 2003: Power, Control, and Adaptive Networks (PCAN) panel in March 2009, CAREER panel in ECS Oct. 2007; PCAN Program panel March 2007; PCAN Program panel March 2006; Control, Networks & Comp Intelligence panel March 2005; CAREER panel in ECS Oct. 2003.
- Journal review: IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Image Processing, Signal Processing, Multimedia, Computational Biology and Bioinformatics; Optical Engineering Journal (SPIE); Journal of Visual Communication and Image Representation, Computer Networks (Elsevier), Journal of Computer Science and Technology.
- Conference Reviewer:IEEE GlobeCom 06-07, IEEE Milcom 08-09, IEEE WCNC 07, IEEE PerCom 05-07, IEEE PIMRC 07, IEEE WTS 07, SPIE (VCIP), ChinaCom, WCECS 2007, IEEE ICIP 2005, AdHocNets 09, SNA 09.
Professional Workshops attended
- DOD Motion Imagery Standards Board (MISB) meetings in Washington DC, since 2009.
- Air Force Airborne Networks Workshop, Utica, NY, 2006-09.
- Layered Sensors Workshop, Rome, NY, July 2008.
- AFRL Rome Technology Review Days Workshop, June 2006.
- MenPack Sensors Workshop, SPAWAR Systems, San Diego, Nov. 2006
- NIH NIBIB Funding Opportunities Workshop, 2005.
- NSF Workshop on ‘NeTSFIND: Future Internet Design’, Washington DC, Dec. 13, 2005.